Catholic Education in Kilmarnock
Ther are two Catholic schools associated with St Joseph's Parish, they are St Andrew's Primary and St Joseph's Academy.
St Joseph's Academy was originally founded in 1955 in its present location. Initially built on what was the outskirts of Kilmarnock at the time, the adjacent New Farm Loch estate eventually grew and enveloped the school. The school comprised an extended single building, housing most of the subjects taught within. Due to a lack of space, an additional building, commonly referred to as 'A' Block was erected in the 1970s. As the school was constructed on what was essentially fields, the St Joseph's campus included a large playing field, comprising a red blaze hockey pitch, running tracks, and space for 4 grass football pitches.
In the early 21st century, a programme was initiated by central government to upgrade secondary schools throughout the country using a mixture of public and private money. St Joseph's was one of the schools selected for demolition and reconstruction.
In 2008, the rebuilt St Joseph's was opened and now serves the entire Secondary Catholic population of East Ayrshire.
This new campus includes the new St Andrew's Primary - an amalgamation of the former St Columba's and St Matthew's Primaries.
ST ANDREW'S PRIMARY SCHOOL
NEW FARM LOCH
St Joseph's Academy